Browsing on AliExpress, this new All-Metal BMG extruder caught my eye. So I ordered one and here’s my thoughts for it.
- All-Metal construction makes it great for Direct Drive applications.
- High Quality finish made from aluminium acts like a heatsink.
- It’s really compact compared to the regular BMG extruders.
- The machining on the filament is really good.
- It includes a good PTFE bowden tube. It’s not Capricorn, but it’s better than average with 1.9 mm internal diameter.
- The thermistor and cartridge have quick connect plugs making the servicing easier.
- The bowden coupler at the top can’t be replaced for now. If it fails, you need to be creative to do a fix.
- It’s a bit hard to use it with a Volcano heat block because the wiring can he a bit hard to route. Using a normal heat block should work better.
- It comes with a plastic gear. I understand that this is to avoid friction and increase service life, but I would use a metal one. I will update this section after a few hundred hours of printing with additional feedback.
- The motor does not have a D cut.
- 3D printed mount when used in a remote bowden setup.
- It adds a bit of weight to the whole assembly, but I think it’s worth it.
I also ordered a Plated Copper Volcano Heat Block . This thing is gorgeous. The finish is really nice and I’d say it’s well worth the price. The only bad thing is the added weight. It’s a lot heavier than an aluminum block, but when used with high flow rates and large nozzle size, it’s well worth it.
Considering everything, I think this extruder it’s worth the money asked for it, but before buying it you should know the future setup. It’s great for direct drive, but it’s the same as any regular BMG extruder when used as a remote bowden extruder.
I will update this post with more information over time, after i install it on my printer.