All-Metal BMG Direct Drive Extruder – My New Favorite
Browsing on AliExpress, this new All-Metal BMG extruder caught my eye. So i ordered one and here’s my thoughts for it.
- All-Metal construction makes it great for Direct Drive applications.
- High Quality finish made from aluminium acts like a heatsink.
- It’s really compact compared to the regular BMG extruders.
- The machining on the filament is really good.
- It includes a good PTFE bowden tube. It’s not Capricorn, but it’s better than average with 1.9 mm internal diameter.
- The thermistor and cartridge have quick connect plugs making the servicing easier.
- The bowden coupler at the top can’t be replaced for now. If it fails, you need to be creative to do a fix.
- It’s a bit hard to use it with a Volcano heat block because the wiring can he a bit hard to route. Using a normal heat block should work better.
- It comes with a plastic gear. I understand that this is to avoid friction and increase service life, but i would use a metal one. I will update this section after a few hundred hours of printing with additional feedback.
- The motor does not have a D cut.
- 3D printed mount when used in a remote bowden setup.
- It adds a bit of weight to the whole assembly, but i think it’s worth it.
I will update this post with more information over time, after i install it on my printer.